Saturday, 23 August 2014

True Journalism is still relevant today



The relevance of journalism.


Welcome to the Arena of PR


Social media such  as twitter, Facebook and LinkedIn for example have become very popular and this has somehow put pressure on some industries. Many might argue the fact that some careers are slowly fading away because of social media which I say isn't necessarily true.  Has journalism perhaps become less relevant in the age of social media? Let's chat about it. 

Well I for one think that journalists are needed in the age of social media because they communicate news on a large, diverse scale and cater for different audiences.  Journalists can however use social media to their advantage to convey news in a more fast and effect manner about national and international events or occurrences. They can also reach out to a larger audience. 

Although journalism is seen as a one way communication line, social media can help create two way communications where they are able to interact with their audience. They could also use social media to gather current newsworthy information. Given the space of change in today's innovative society, we need journalism to help us in navigating through uncertainty. We cannot just depend on social media or what is now called "citizen journalism" alone without considering the worth of professional journalists. 
http://www.nieman.harvard.edu/reports/article/101882/What-Is-Journalisms-Place-in-Social-Media.aspx


Don't get me wrong, but I think journalists are more credible and give information that has been researched or interviewed from real sources. I say that yes we do still need journalists in the age of social media. What's your view on this? Feel free to comment. 

Enjoy!

14 comments:

  1. I agree with you. We still need journalist regardless of how powerful social media is. Journalist are useful and the birth of social media created so much opportunities for journalist.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes it really has given journalist the greatest platform on advancing and reaching a larger audience.

      Delete
  2. We still journalists to do their job so we are well informed at all times about the environment we live in. Social media is also there to be the voice of people, it lets people speak their mind.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree with the fact that social media gives us the platform to have a two way conversation with journalists.

      Delete
  3. yes we still need journalist , but social media is growing and becoming very big because news get to travel much faster and you able to have conversation with journalist

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So in other words you mean that social media opens up our communication line with journalists? I think that it is really awesome to be able engage with them on a one on one level.

      Delete
  4. I like your point when you said journalists can provide news to a larger and diverse scale to different audiences, and not everyone is on social media

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Very true. We should always bear that in mind. Journalists cater for everyone.

      Delete
  5. That is true, citizen journalism is certainly not credible unless it is driven by an influencer. We need journalists to tell us what is happening in our society.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Absolutely, they help us believe the story because of their credibility.

      Delete
  6. One might say social media has taken over the world......uhm but I still read my newspaper daily. This goes on to tell us that social media does not really reach out to all your target audiences. Hence we have journalist who help target audiences.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Reaching out to the right audience it so important. Journalists cater for that. I feel and know that journalists are relevant is today's society although we have social media.

      Delete
  7. yes we still do need journalists because they provide facts and evidence unlike social media

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is totally true. Evidence is needed for credibility.

      Delete